Want to know a big, big key in discovering how to be happy? Something that immediately changes your outlook on virtually anything you are dealing with? A key so powerful it can change your life, yet so simple and underused it has been grossly taken for granted.
It is to be grateful!
Whether you are experiencing a challenging problem or just living the day to day grind, applying a simple attitude of gratitude can, quite literally, transform your experience. Let’s look at how this is possible.
In this life filled with ‘bigger is better’ slogans and attitudes, the message being promoted is “You can have more”. Basically, what you have is NOT ENOUGH. Therefore, you are never satisfied with what you have.
When you are not satisfied with what you have, you are thinking in terms of lack, which in turn attracts more, well, lack. Thinking in terms of lack produces a feeling of not being taken care of, which produces a feeling of being ungrateful. When you feel ungrateful you are producing negative energy vibrations. Think of your thoughts as a boomerang. You throw one out into the Universe and eventually, a similar vibration, whether it be negative or positive, will return to you.
That is why it is so important to choose your thoughts, and having an attitude of gratitude is a great way to keep them positive. In fact, the act of being grateful produces some of the most powerful positive vibrations you can make, because of the feelings of happiness it produces. The power of gratitude is undeniable.
Try being grateful for all you experience on every level. It doesn’t matter how complicated the task, or big the problem, just send out that positive energy (which is this attitude of gratitude) for all you have in your life right now, and the boomerang will return with that same energy.
When you start expressing gratitude for everything, it opens up a whole new world that you probably never saw before. Among other things, it:
- Opens the door for better things to flow into your life
- Immediately changes your attitude from negative to positive
- Sends powerful, positive energy out, which affects your entire life
- Affects vibrations of like energies to flow to you
Complaining – The Opposite of Gratitude
Complainers just can’t seem to be happy unless they are expressing their aggravation at what someone did, or how something happened, or why something hasn’t worked out, etc. When you complain you are blocking that positive energy flow. It cannot possibly come to you, therefore you are unconsciously attracting more things to go wrong in your life.
Complaining and gratitude are two polar opposites. Complaining brings your entire countenance down and you can actually feel the heaviness it brings to you. Expressing your gratitude, on the other hand, lifts you up, and you feel light and happy about what you’re experiencing in life.
Try This experiment:
Every day this week, take one situation you are dealing with in your life and apply an attitude of gratitude to it. Find an aspect of it that you are honestly happy and grateful for. It doesn’t have to be big. Just start with something. Once you start applying an attitude of gratitude to situations, it gets easier to find things to be grateful for, until one day you realize you’re a whole lot happier than you used to be.
Using affirmations can help in changing your thoughts to ones of gratefulness. First, think of what you are grateful for in the situation you’re thinking of. Acknowledge you are learning and be grateful for the lesson. Then follow with what you want to now achieve.
Here are some examples of common subjects and how to change your thoughts into those of gratitude:
- Money Problems. This is probably at the top of the list for most people. It may seem hard to do, but you must stop the counter-productive thoughts you have regarding money. First, you must acknowledge and be grateful for what you do have. Any money that comes your way should be met with thankfulness and an attitude of gratitude: “I am grateful for the money I receive and I now attract more into my life.”
Another good trick is to express gratefulness for your bills. That’s right! Realize that these people are selling their services and products to you in a trusting relationship. They provide you with a value and then trust you will pay for the services you receive. Try to be grateful that you are trusted on that level, and when you pay your bill, be grateful you have the money to pay it. It’s just a small change in thought, but it makes such a huge difference.
- Relationship Issues. OK, this is a biggie. The first thing you need to do is be grateful for the experience a difficult person is teaching you. Because you cannot change anyone else, nor do you have the right to, this is the only way to show gratitude in such a relationship. You control your own thoughts and actions, and no matter what someone else says or does to you, they cannot control that aspect of you. So try saying to yourself: “I am grateful for the experience I am receiving from this person. I have many quality relationships and I know there are many more waiting to come to me.” You can do it! Dealing with people is what this life is all about. Learn to love and appreciate the lessons relationships teach you, no matter how hard they are, and you will grow in leaps and bounds.
- Health Concerns. Usually we put off caring for ourselves until everything and everyone else is taken care of. Very often this causes health issues. Our bodies are incredibly resilient, however, not taking the time to care for ourselves will eventually lead to problems. Showing even a little love and an attitude of gratitude will go a long way toward being healthy. Learn to love your body just the way it is, whether you’re chubby, thin, tall, short, or otherwise. You are who you are, and there is no one like you on this earth. That is special in and of itself. If there is something you want to change about your appearance or health, that’s fine. Just remember to be grateful for what you already have. Say to yourself: “I am grateful for this amazing body that has done so much for me and I now choose to make changes to become even better.” Be grateful for yourself and your talents and learn to love who you are. This attitude will bring success and a tremendous peace to your soul.
The Law of Attraction
An attitude of gratitude works with the Law of Attraction to bring the things into your life that you want. So it is important to always express how grateful you are for the things you are attracting, as if you already had them. For example:
“I’m grateful I now have…”
“I’m grateful I am now…”
“I’m grateful there is now…”
You finish the sentences.
This exercise helps super-charge the power of the Law of Attraction. Feeling grateful is a big part of achieving the success you want.
It is important to remember if you do not feel grateful, you are unconsciously attracting the negative. If you are continually grateful in your thoughts, however, then you will feel happy, and produce things of like vibrations.
Applying an attitude of gratitude is a choice. It’s just saying, ‘I choose to think this way’. That’s it. If you have it in you to make that choice, your life will be better. The more grateful you are, the more you find to be grateful about. You just keep climbing higher and higher.
John F. Kennedy said: “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”
To live by the words we speak, and to have those words be ones of gratitude? How would that affect your life?